“New Year, New You!” // “Do this every day in 2022 for fat burn and six-pack abs!” // “Abs and flat belly in 4 weeks. 2022 Challenge!”
Holy goddess, New Year’s fitness and “health” propaganda is really something else, right?
It might not surprise you to know that I’m not a big fan of the way the health, fitness or nutrition industry approach goal setting or New Year’s “resolutions”.
There are two mains reasons for this:
- As a woman, you’ve been brainwashed to believe that the change you desire to FEEL happens ONLY *after* you’ve reached your goals – AKA once you’ve lost that extra 10 lbs., started working out regularly, are eating right, getting enough sleep, have balanced hormones and added in more self-care. But did you know that especially when it comes to goals concerning your body, setting linear goals just doesn’t work long-term for women. Why? Because physiologically, your hormones are cyclical over the course of a month and NOT the same every day (like men)! And your hormones literally affect E.V.E.R.Y. system of your body – including energy, brain function and what we perceive as “motivation” or “progress”. So when your goals aren’t coming along as intended, the tendency is to believe there’s something wrong with YOU.
- While I deeply value intentions & goals (aka resolutions), there’s a precursor we sometimes forget – the careful dissecting of what’s past & presently STOPPED us from realizing said goals in the past. This requires trading shame & blame for curiosity around where your time + energy are currently going and whether or not that’s serving your highest good & deepest desires. It means looking at what held & practiced beliefs, thoughts and habits are impeding your forward progress, daily, in small + big ways.For where your time + energy (mental, emotional, relational, physical & spiritual) go – intentional or not, sets your priorities and what you’re able to “achieve”. Day after day, month over month, year to year.
So if the way we’ve been taught to set goals as a woman doesn’t work, and leads us down a rabbit hole of deprecation, is there an alternative way that aligns with your physiology to not only set achievable goals, but ones that you actually FEEL GOOD moving towards?
The answer, is a resounding YES! And I’m going to teach you how.
Did you know that females have two distinct hormone phases of our menstrual cycle? Low hormone & high hormone. Your low hormone phase is when you may feel momentum & energy building towards a linear goal, but come your high hormone phase, your body PHYSICALLY and MENTALLY requires a big shift in how you exercise, work, eat, sleep, mother & live.
Meaning: you can *still* work towards your goals, but the WAY in which you do it must adjust to your hormones in order for your motivation, progress & energy to not wane.
This shift also requires goals that are connected to something more MEANINGFUL than aesthetics or materials. You can desire to shift these areas of your life 100%, but if there’s no deeper meaning attached, you’ll soon lose “motivation” because half of your hormone cycle calls you into discernment of that which matters most and is in line with your true desires.
So instead of setting a goal like “I want to lose 10 lbs.”, TRY THIS: imagine what being 10 lbs. lighter FEELS like.
- What do you imagine you’d be doing?
- How would you adorn yourself?
- What self-image // beliefs would shift or be different?
That FEELING is your real goal. And once you are clear on the feeling, you can start taking small actions to feel that way RIGHT NOW, not after you’ve lost the weight.
No strings attached or New Year, New You // Whole30 // 30 Day Workout Challenge required.
And that’s the WHOLE point, isn’t it? To FEEL amazing – and specifically, how you deeply desire, in all areas of your life. Focusing on the feeling also allows for flexibility and redirection when something you’re currently doing isn’t working. It makes space for grace and truly tuning into your cyclical body’s changing needs.
But before you even dive into that, you must first get curious around what’s been holding you back from achieving goals you’ve had in the past. These REALIZATIONS are required understanding, as getting a clear picture of where you are + WHY (without judgement) is the first step to setting goals that CAN be realized. Far more impactful than resolutions, realizations are the necessary medicine to create lasting change with less effort and more joy + ease.
You must also know that goals are not a linear path (as you’ve likely been taught), but rather an upward spiral that calls you into a balance of action AND surrender. One of consistency AND discernment. The willingness to take one small step at a time, especially after you stumble – which you will, for perfection should never be the goal, but rather grace-filled progress, wrapped in curiosity & connection to self.
These two factors – understanding: how your hormones impact “progress” AND what barriers you’re currently fueling through your thoughts, beliefs & actions – are the key ingredients for setting feel good goals, as a woman, that WORK. Not once you’ve “gotten there”, but right now, the moment you gain this understanding + clarity.
Curious to learn more?
Join me THIS Saturday, 1.15 at 8am PST on Zoom for a workshop that details how to goal set for your female physiology, while walking you step-by-step through the process of assessing your energy drains + fountains, getting clarity around how to shift the barriers you keep butting up against year after year.
We will begin the workshop with some movement to align our body + spirit, and root into deep connection with our bodies. The class is 45 minutes and all levels. Following the workout, we will move into the workshop on goal setting (est: 60 min).
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP
(cost: $45 // details on how to join via Zoom will be emailed to you)
A recording of the workshop will be emailed to all who sign up (in case you can’t make it in-person or wish to review // rewatch all the juicy info or repeat the workout!).